Wednesday 26 November 2014


Grammar in Context: Prepositional Collocations
Task 1:
Complete the sentences below with the correct verb or adjective followed by an appropriate preposition (e.g., for, to, with, about).

thank
apply
 inform
respond
inquire
upset
interested
complain
invite
sorry
concerned
apologize

1. I would like to .......apologize.....for....my absence at the meeting.
2. I am ..concerned about..the lack of supervision in the playground.
3. I am writing to ...complain about............the poor service I received at your store.
4. I am very ....sorry...about..... not being able to meet the deadline.
5. We would like to ..... invite........you.....to.... the ABC Company’s open house on Saturday, June 16 at 1:00 p.m.
6. I am writing to .....inform...about....you the new budget proposal.
7. I would like to take this opportunity to .......thank.......you ......for.....being a loyal customer over the years.
8. I am ....interested....to.....finding out about the training programs that you offer.
9. I am very ......upset......about.....the way I was treated by one of your admin staff.
10. I am writing to ....inquire about.... the position you have available.
11. I am ....responding......to..(am interested in )...your advertisement in the Globe and Mail on June 3, 2009.
12. I would like to ......apply for.........the position of Sales Manager that was advertised in the Kingston Whig Standard on September 31, 2010.

Task 2:
Write six sentences of your own using prepositional collocations.

I  applied for the position of TDSB last year, and then, I got a call after 4 days, I  was informed to interview by the supervisor from TDSB. I felt excited and restless because of  that was my first formal interview in Canada as a new immigrant. I inquired some kind-hearted sisters in Jesus of our church how to prepare the proper interview. I really concerned about this experience. So, I carefully made more preparations for it. Thus, the interviewers were interested in my unique artistic teaching demo. After a period, I got a respond from supervisor , I has been a supply teacher in TDSB, and I began to be invites by the different principles of public schools due to the supervisor strongly recommended my active and artistic  teaching style to them. I really appreciated for these nice people around me to give me many opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment